After Meersbrook
Closure of the Ruskin Museum at Meersbrook

The Guild's loan of the Collection to Sheffield City Council came up for renewal in 1950. This caused a crisis in the Collection's relationship with the City.

The Council decided to close the Ruskin Museum soon after. They were influenced by changes in educational fashion, and concerns that the museum's displays had become too static.

Move to Reading

In 1964, the Master of the Guild, H. A. Hodges, moved the Collection to the Library and Art History Department of the University of Reading. Hodges was a Professor of Philosophy at the University.

The 1960s and 1970s were a low point in the history of the Collection. The lack of space at Reading meant that much of the Collection had to be kept in store.

Inside the Museum
History of the Museum
John Ruskin
About the Project
Museums Sheffield
Useful Links

Please leave feedback
on Facebook

Supported by:
The Universityof Sheffield
Museums Sheffield
The Universityof of Cambridge
Guild of St George