Offer of Meersbrook
The Corporation of Sheffield (now, Sheffield City Council) bought the Meersbrook estate in the south of Sheffield in 1886.
A large Georgian house stood on the land, into which Ruskin was invited to move the entire collection held at Walkley.
Ruskin initially declined this offer because he still hoped to raise sufficient public subscriptions to build a museum to his own plans.Move to Meersbrook
The situation changed with Ruskin's declining health. At that time, the Guild's affairs were managed largely by George Thomson, a Huddersfield mill owner, and by George Baker of Bewdley. Thomson and Baker re-opened negotiations with the Corporation.
In 1889, it was decided to accept the Corporation's offer and move the Museum into the mansion at Meersbrook. The Guild agreed to lend the contents of the new museum to the Corporation for a fixed term.
The official opening of the converted building took place on 15 April 1890. The event was widely reported in the national press.
A new name came with the Museum's new home: henceforth, it would be known as The Ruskin Museum.